«i.lab will not only be an iconic building expressing the Group’s reputation for technical expertise; it will be a benchmark for sustainable design in Europe». Richard Meier
i.lab, Italcementi’s new Research and Innovation Centre designed by the American architect Richard Meier, is built in line with the Group’s concept of innovation,sustainability and architectural excellence, i.lab is the synthesis of this trail blazing technology in terms of quality of materials andgreen construction technologies, a place of knowledge and scientific know-how. Located in the Kilometro Rosso Science and Technology Park, the building has an overall surface area of 23,000 m2 and hosts engineers, technicians and researchers from the Research & Development and Laboratories Departments of CTG, the Group Technical Centre, and from Italcementi’s Innovation Direction, all engaged in investigating and developing innovative technological, functional and aesthetic solutions for new construction materials.
i.lab’s activity is geared around five main strategic axes:
- New clinker, cements or binders alternative to Ordinary Portland Cement. In particular, research will focus on the use of renewable and reusable raw materials and the development of specialty admixtures and special additions for concrete. This project study will also be promoted through investigations and experiments based on nano- and biotechnologies applied to the construction materials sector.
- Unconventional products, such as TX Active®, i.light® and others, able to provide added technological and functional value to traditional products.
- Special concretes, repair and structural strengthening mortars for both new and existing construction delivering added value innovative performance.
- Technical solutions aimed at reducing the CO2 impact within the construction materials industry.
- Networking with international architects and project designers aimed at defining and disseminating a culture of construction that is mindful of the environment and the people.
i.lab will be a benchmark for sustainable design in Europe. It is a concrete application of Italcementi’s strategy on the issues of innovation and sustainability. Designed and built to conform to LEED - Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design standards, i.lab has been rated Platinum, the highest LEED rating for energy-efficient and environmentally sustainable buildings.
i.lab complies with very strict energy efficiency requirements, which allow it to save up to 60% more energy than a traditional building of the same size and end-use destination. This has been possible thanks to the special construction methods adopted, the materials used and the recourse to renewable energies, i.e. the installation of photovoltaic/solar thermal panels and the geothermal energy system. In 2010, i.lab was prized by the European Commission with the European Green Building Award as the best Italian building for energy efficiency in the “Best New Building” category. 2009, i.lab had been honored with the Green Good Design Award by the Chicago Athenaeum and the European Centre for Architecture Art Design and Urban Studies.