The Group is committed to prevent, or otherwise minimize, mitigate and remediate the environmental impacts of its activities.
The Environment Policy reinforces the Group approach in preserving the environment and the society.
By adhering to the United Nations Global Compact, the Group is formally committed to:
- support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges;
- undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility;
- encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
90% of the Group cement plants, located in 11 countries of operation out of 12, received the certification of their environmental management systems according to ISO 14001.
Additionally, the Group has developed guidelines for assessing dismissed or dismissing sites. They aim at spreading the best known practices among subsidiaries in order to minimize the following risks:
- Safety and security, covering status of structures, equipments, fencing/surveillance.
- Environmental, covering presence of materials, hazardous and non-hazardous.
- Social and external context, covering stakeholder engagement activites.
Further information is available in the 2012 Annual report, page 332.